In 2021, Port of Antwerp International (PAI) began the second contract term of the partnership with Benin. After strong growth over the past few years and a positive evaluation, the next period begins in the context of implementing the Port Master Plan.
The Port of Cotonou is entering now into the active phase of its modernization. The implementation of the 2021-2025 Master Plan contains six (06) value-added projects to renovate the infrastructures and equipment as well as the expansion of the port. The works are estimated at 255 billion FCFA.
The objectives of this work are:
- Improved access for larger vessels (length 350m, width 52m)
- Efficiency of handling operations
- Reduction of waiting time in the harbour
- Reduction of truck transit time in the port
- Port capacity will be increased to over 20 million tonnes
The port authority signed the infrastructure construction contract for this project with China Harbor Engineering Co (CHEC) on Thursday July 15, 2021. SECO has been engaged for providing technical inspection services in the framework of a decennial insurance intended to cover hidden defects for a period lasting 10 years after construction.
More info :